Water & Environmental Research Center
Institute of Northern Engineering
PO Box 755860, Fairbanks, AK 99775-5860
Phd, Water Resource Science
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, USA, 2004
Thesis title: Modeling Liquid Waqter Flow in Snow
MA, Agricultural Engineering
Wageningen University, Wageningen, NL, 1997
Thesis title: Water flow and heat transport under frost and thaw conditions at an arable field soil with snow cover near Sjökulla, Finland
BA, Environmental Engineering
Van Hall Instituut, Groningen, NL, 1994
Thesis title: Waste water treament with Helofyte filters
AS, Horticultural Educadtion
‘tVanck, Nijmengen, Netherlands, 1991
- 2009-Present: Research Associate, Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks. Projects: Permafrost Modeling, Permafrost Observations, Thermal effects of Groundwater Manipulation, Terrestrial Lidar Observations of Frost Heave and Soil Motion.
- 2005-2009: Post Doctoral Fellow, Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks. Projects: Non-sorted Circles Observations and Modeling, Permafrost Modeling.
- 2004-2005:Post Doctoral Fellow, Department of Geological Engineering University of Alaska Fairbanks. Projects: Model Development for Coupled Heat and Moisture Transfer in Arctic Soils
- 1997-2004:Research Assistant, Department of Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering, University of Minnesota. Thesis: modeling Liquid Water flow in Snow
- Walker, D.A., Hamilton, T.D., Ping, C.L., Daanen, R.P., and Streever, W.W., 2009, Dalton Highway Field Trip Guide for the Ninth International Conference on Permafrost: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Guidebook 9.
- Daanen, R. P., and Nieber, J.L., 2009. Model for Coupled Liquid Water Flow and Heat Transport with Phase Change in a Snowpack, Journal of Cold Regions Engineering, 23(2), 43-68.
- Daanen, R.P., Romanovsky, V.E, Walker, D.A., LaDouceur, M., 2008. High Resolution, Surface and Subsurface, Survey of a Non-sorted Circle System. Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Permafrost, Fairbanks, Alaska 321-326.
- Daanen, R.P., Misra, D., Epstein, H., Walker, D., and Romanovsky, V.E., 2008. Simulating non-sorted circle development in arctic tundra ecosystems, J. Geophys. Res., 113, G03S06, doi: 10.1029/2008JG000682.