My name is Svetlana Stuefer and this is my official webpage. I am an Assistant Professor at the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Water and Environmental Research Center at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, USA.
My specialization is in the cold regions hydrology with an emphasis on the snow-related processes. I received my Ph.D. in Hydrology and Water Resources from the Russian State Hydrometeorological University, St. Petersburg, Russia. I joined the Water and Environmental Research Center at the University of Alaska Fairbanks in 2003 as a Post-Doctoral Fellow. Follow the links to research, teaching and service to learn more about my work.
I was previously published under last name Berezovskaya.
My colleagues, graduate students and I work together on different aspects of hydrology and hydraulics that are unique to cold climate environments. Below are some examples of our publications, projects and other activities.
Google Scholar | ORCID
Selected Peer-Reviewed Articles
- Stuefer S.L. and D.L. Kane, 2016. Snow retention for increased water supply of shallow arctic lakes, Cold Regions Science and Technology, Vol. 123, p. 32–43
- Bring A., Fedorova I., Dibike Y., Hinzman L., Karlsson J., Merlind S., Prowse T., Semenova O., Stuefer S., and M.I. Woo, 2016. Arctic terrestrial hydrology: A synthesis of processes, regional effects and research challenges, Journal of Geophysical Research, 121, doi:10.1002/ 2015JG003131
- Kane, D. and S.L. Stuefer, 2015. Reflecting on the status of precipitation data collection in Alaska. Hydrology Research, Vol. 46, No. 4, p. 478-493
- Sturm M. and S.L. Stuefer, 2013. Windblown flux rates derived from drifts at Arctic snow fences. Journal of Glaciology, Vol. 59, No. 213, p. 21-34, doi: 10.3189/2013JoG12J110
- Stuefer S.L., Kane D.L. and G.Liston, 2013. In situ snow water equivalent observations in the U.S. Arctic. Hydrology Research, Vol. 44, No. 1, p. 21-34.
- Liston, G.E, R.B. Haehnel, M. Sturm, C.A. Hiemstra, S. Berezovskaya and R. Tabler, 2007. Simulating Complex Snow Distributions in Windy Environments using SnowTran-3D. Journal of Glaciology, Vol. 53, No. 181, p. 241-256.
- Berezovskaya S.L., D. Yang and L. Hinzman, 2005. Long-term annual water balance analysis of the Lena River. Global and Planetary Change, 48, 1-3, p. 84-95.
- Berezovskaya, S., D. Yang and D. Kane, 2004. Compatibility of precipitation and runoff trends over the large Siberian watersheds. Geophys. Res. Lett., 31, L21502, doi:10.1029/ 2004GL021277
- Christopher Arp (PI), Svetlana Stuefer, 2015-2020. Terrestrial Enviromental Observation Network (TEON) - Arctic Landscape Conservation Cooperative (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Funding)
- Svetlana Stuefer (PI), Douglas Kane, 2008-2013. Using Artificial Barriers to Augment Fresh Water Supplies in Shallow Arctic Lakes (Department of Energy Funding)
- Douglas Kane (PI), Amy Tidwell, Svetlana Stuefer, 2008-2012. Updated Precipitation Frequency Analysis for the State of Alaska (State Agency Funding)
- Matthew Sturm (PI), Glen Liston, Chris Hiemstra, Douglas Kane, Daqing Yang, Svetlana Berezovskaya, 2008 – 2013. IPY Collaborative Research: A Prototype Network for Measuring Arctic Winter Precipitation and Snow Cover (Snow-Net) (National Science Foundation Funding)
- Daqing Yang (PI), Alexander Shiklomanov, Richard Lammers, Svetlana Berezovskaya, Horacio Tonilio, 2006 – 2009. Collaborative Research: Study of Dam/Reservoir-induced Hydrologic Changes in Siberian Regions (National Science Foundation Funding)
Recent Technical Reports
- Perica, S., Kane, D., Dietz, S., Maitaria, K., Martin, D., Pavlovic, S., Roy, I., Stuefer, S., Tidwell, A., Trypaluk, C., Unruh, D., Yekta, M., Betts, E., Bonnin, G., Heim, S., Hiner, L., Lilly, E., Narayanan, J., Yan, F., Zhao, T., 2012. Precipitation-Frequency Atlas of the United States, NOAA Atlas 14, volume 7, version 2.0: Alaska. PFE data server
- Stuefer, S.L., Homan J.W., Kane, D.L., Gieck, R.E. and Youcha, E.K 2014. Snow Survey Results for the Central Alaskan Arctic, Arctic Circle to Arctic Ocean: Spring 2013. University of Alaska Fairbanks, Water and Environmental Research Center, Report INE/WERC 14.01, Fairbanks, Alaska, 96 pp. Full-text version.
- U.S. Arctic, Kuparuk River snow surveys, 2004-2013. Snow depth and snow water equivalent measurements;
- U.S. Arctic, Cold Land Processes Experiment II field campaign, 25-31 January, 2007, Colorado, USA and November 26th – December 4th, 2007, Alaska, USA. Ground based snow survey, including snow depth, snow water equivalent measurements and snow pits.
- U.S. Arctic, Precipitation gauge intercomparison experiment and blowing/drifting snow observation study at the Barrow, Alaska, USA, March 2004
- Russian Arctic, Russian-German joint expedition to the Laptev Sea aboard the Russian research vessel “Yakov Smirnitzkii”, August-September 2000. CTD and ADCP observations.
- Russian Arctic, Russian-German joint expedition to the Laptev Sea aboard the German research vessel “POLARSTERN”, ARK XIV/1b, July-August 1998. CTD and hydrochemistry measurements.
- Western Siberia, Monitoring the navigation conditions of the Western Siberian Rivers – expedition to the Pur River, June-October 1997. Hydrometric survey.
- FHWA Urban Drainage Design, training October 7-9, 2014
- NSF Science: Becoming the Messenger, Communication skill-building Workshop, July 17-18, 2013
- HEC USACE Risk Analysis for Flood Risk Management training, May 7-11, 2012
Dr.Stuefer teaches water-related undergraduate and graduate courses at the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, College of Engineering and Mines, University of Alaska Fairbanks.
- CE F683 Arctic Hydrology and Hydraulic Engineering
- CE F661 Advanced Water Resources Engineering
- CE F344 Water Resources Engineering
- ES F341 Fluid Mechanics
Check out the WERC prospective student page and contact me to find out more about graduate student opportunities in hydrology. I am always looking for excellent students. Please check out my research page for current and past projects. I am open to discuss additional research topics of common interest.
- ASCE Excellence in Civil Engineering Education Teaching Workshop, June 22-27, 2014
- iTeach hands-on workshop offered by the Instructional Design Team at UAF eLearning, May 19-23, 2014
Some examples of my service include