- Christopher D. Arp
- Water and Environmental Research Center
- Institute for Northern Engineering
- University of Alaska Fairbanks
- Fairbanks, Alaska 99775-5860
- 907-474-2783 (office)
- 907-474-2783 (fax)
Sections on this page:
- Landscape and watershed-scale functions of lakes and wetlands
- Geomorphology, hydrology, and ecology of headwater streams
- Ice and water balance dynamics of shallow lakes
- Surface-water interactions with permafrost
- Climate change responses and adaptive management
Current Research Projects
- Fish Creek Watershed (NPR-A): Geomorphology, Hydrology, and Fish Habitat Studies
- Circumarctic Lake Observation Network (CALON)
- Response of an Arctic Freshwater Ecosystem to Climate and Land-use Change (Fish CAFÉ)
- Arctic Lake Ice Systems Science (ALISS)
Past Research Projects
- Past, Present and Future Temperature Regimes of Western Alaska Lakes and Lagoons
- Ice-out Phenology of Alaska Lake Districts
- 2006 Ph.D. Ecology (Utah State University)
- 1998 M.S. Watershed Science (Colorado State University)
- 1994 B.S. Fisheries and Wildlife Biology / Environmental Studies (Iowa State University)
- 2010 – present Assistant Research Professor, Water and Environmental Research Center, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK
- 2006 – 2010 Research Ecologist, U.S. Geological Survey, Alaska Science Center, Anchroage, AK
- 2002 – 2006 Research Assistant, Utah State University, Logan, UT
- 2001 – 2002 Ecological Consultant, D.J. Cooper, Boulder, CO
- 1999 – 2001 Development Worker, U.S. Peace Corps, Loja, Ecuador, SA
- 1996 – 1999 Research Assistant, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
- 1994 – 1996 Fisheries Biologist, Saltwater, Inc., Anchorage, AK
- 2005 Teaching Assistant, Small Watershed Hydrology (AWER 4490/5490), USU
- 2000 Technical Trainer, U.S. Peace Corps, Quito, Ecuador
- 1999 Professor, Hydrology and Water Quality in Aquaculture, Universidad Nacional de Loja
- 1998 Teaching Assistant, Land-use and Water Quality (ER 418), CSU
- American Water Resources Association (Alaska Section)
- American Society of Limnology and Oceanography
- American Geophysical Union
- Society of Freshwater Science
- Arp, C. D., M. S. Whitman, B. M. Jones, G. Grosse, B. V. Gaglioti, and K. C. Heim. 2014. Beaded Streams of Arctic permfrost landscapes. Biogeosciences – Discussions 11, doi:10.5194/bgd-11-11391-2014
- Jones, B. M., A. L. Breen, B. V. Gaglioti, D. H. Mann, A. V. Rocha, G. Grosse, C. D. Arp, M. L. Kunz, and D. A. Walker. 2013. Identification of unrecognized turndra fire event on the North Slope of Alaska. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences 118: 1-11.
- Jones, B. M., A. Gusmeroli, C. D. Arp, T. Strozzi, G. Grosse, B. V. Gaglioti, and M. S. Whitman. 2013. Classification of freshwater ice conditions on the Alaskan Arctic Coastal Plain using ground penetrating radar and TerraSAR-X satellite data. International Journal of Remote Sensing 34(23): 8253-8265.
- Arp, C. D., B. M. Jones, and G. Grosse. 2013. Recent lake ice-out phenology within and among lake distictst of Alaska, U.S.A. Limnology and Oceanography 58(6): 2013-2028.
- Grosse, G., B. Jones, and C. Arp. 2013. Thermokarst Lake, Drainage, and Drained Basins. Pages 1-29 in J. Shroder, R. Giardino, and J. Harbor, editors. Treatise on Geomorphology. Academic Press, San Diego, CA.
- Arp, C.D., B.M. Jones, Z. Lu, and M.S. Whitman. 2012. Shifting balance of thermokarst lake ice regimes across the Arctic Coastal Plain of northern Alaska. Geophysical Research Letters 39 (L16503):1-5.
- Arp, C. D., M. S. Whitman, B. M. Jones, R. Kemnitz, G. Grosse, and F. E. Urban. 2012. Drainage network structure and hydrologic behavior of three lake-rich watersheds on the Arctic Coastal Plain, Alaska. Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research 44(4):385-398.
- Arp, C. D. and T. Simmons. 2012. Analyzing the impacts of off-road vehicles (ORV) trails on watershed processes in Wrangell – St. Elias National Park and Preserve, Alaska. Environmental Management 49: 751-766.
- Jones, B. M., G. Grosse, K. M. Hinkel, C. D. Arp, S. Walker, R. A. Beck, and J. P. Galloway. 2012. Assessment of pingo distribution and morphometry using an IfSAR derived digital surface model, western Arctic Coastal Plain, Nothern Alaska. Geomorphology 138:1-14.
- Jones, B. M., G. Grosse, C. D. Arp, M. C. Jones, K. M. W. Walter, and V. Romanovsky. 2011. Modern thermokarst lake dynamics in the continuous permafrost zone, northern Seward Peninsula, Alaska, USA. Journal of Geophysical Research 116:1-13.
- Arp, C.D., B.M. Jones, F.E. Urban, and G. Grosse. 2011, Hydrogeomorphic processes of thermokarst lakes with grounded-ice and floating-ice regimes on the Arctic Coastal Plain, Alaska. Hydrological Processes.Hydrological Processes 25(15):2422-2438.
- Beck, R.A., Rettig, A.J., Ivenso, C. Eisner, W.R., Hinkel, K.M., Jones, B.M., Arp, C.D., Grosse, G., Whiteman, D. 2010. Sikuliqiruq: ice dynamics of the Meade River – Arctic Alaska, from freezeup to breakup from time-series ground imagery. Polar Geography 33(3-4):115-137.
- Arp, C.D., Jones, B.M., Schmutz, J.A., Urban, F.E., Jorgenson, M.T. in press. Two mechanisms of aquatic and terrestrial habitat change along an Alaska Arctic coastline. Polar Biology, doi:10.1007/s00300-1010-0800-5
- Arp, C.D., Jones, B.M., Whitman, M., Larsen, A., Urban, F.E. 2010. Lake temperature and ice cover regimes in the Alaskan Subarctic and Arctic: Integrated monitoring, remote sensing, and modeling. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 46(4): 777-791.
- Jones, B.M., Arp, C.D., Beck, R.A., Grosse, G., Webster, J., and Urban, F.E. 2009. Erosional history of Cape Halkett and contemporary monitoring of bluff retreat, Beaufort Sea coast, Alaska. Polar Geography, 32:129-142.
- Hall, R.O., Baker, M.A., Arp, C.D., and Koch, B.J. 2009. Hydrologic control of nitrogen removal, storage, and export in a mountain stream. Limnology and Oceanography, 54(6):2128-2142
- Jones, B.M., Kolden, C.A., Jandt, R., Abatzoglou, J.T., Urban, F.E., and Arp, C.D. 2009. Fire behavior, weather, and burn severity of the 2007 Anaktuvuk River tundra fire, North Slope, Alaska. Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research, 41 (3):309-316
- MacKay, M.D., Neal, P.J., Arp, C.D., De Senerpont Domis, L.N., Fang, X., Gal, G., Jöhnk, K., Kirillin, G., Lenters, J.D., Litchman, E., MacIntyre, S., Marsh, P., Melack, J., Mooij, W.M., Peeters, F., Quesada, A., Schladow, S.G., Schmid, M., Spence, C., and Stokes, S.L. 2009. Modeling lakes and reservoirs in the climate system. Limnology and Oceanography, 54(6, part 2): 2315-2329.
- Jones, B.M., Arp, C.D., Jorgenson, M.T., Hinkel, K.M., Schmutz, J.A., and Flint, P.L. 2009. Increase in the rate and uniformity of coastline erosion in Arctic Alaska. Geophysical Research Letters 36: 1-5.
- Briggs, M.A., Gooseff, M.N., Arp, C.D., and Baker, M.A. 2009. A method for estimating surface transient storage parameters for streams with concurrent hyporheic storage. Water Resources Research, 45( W00D27):1-13.
- Jones, B.M., Arp, C.D., Hinkel, K.M., Beck, R.A., Schmutz, J.A., and Winston, B. 2009. Arctic lake physical processes and regimes with implications for winter water availability and management in the National Petroleum Reserve Alaska. Environmental Management, 43:1071-1084.
- Jones, B.M., K.M. Hinkel, C.D. Arp, W.R. Eisner. 2008. Modern erosion rates and loss of coastal features and sites, Beaufort Sea coastline, Alaska. Arctic, 61(4):361-372.
- Jones, B.M., R. Rhykus, Z. Lu, C.D. Arp, D. Selkowitz. 2008. Radar imaging of winter seismic activity in the National Petroleum Reserve, Alaska. Polar Record, 44(2):1-5.
- Alessa, L, A. Kliskey, R. Lammers, C. Arp, D. White, L. Hinzman, and R. Busey. 2008. The arctic water resources vulnerability index: an integrated assessment tool for community resilience and vulnerability with respect to freshwater. Environmental Management, 42:523-541.
- Arp, C.D. and M.A. Baker. 2007. Discontinuities in stream nutrient uptake below lakes in mountain drainage networks. Limnology and Oceanography, 52: 1978-1990.
- Myers, A.K., A.M. Marcarelli, C.D. Arp, M.A. Baker, W.A. Wurtsbaugh. 2007. Disruption of stream sediment size and stability by lakes in mountain watersheds: potential effects on periphyton biomass. Journal of the North American Benthological Society, 26(3): 390-400.
- Arp, C.D., J.C. Schmidt., M.A. Baker, and A. Myers. 2007. Stream geomorphology in a mountain lake district: hydraulic geometry, sediment sources and sinks, and downstream effects. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 32(4): 525-543.
- Arp, C.D., M.N. Gooseff, M.A. Baker, and W. Wurtsbaugh. 2006. Surface-water hydrodynamics and regimes of a small mountain stream-lake ecosystem. Journal of Hydrology, 329: 500-513.
- Arp, C.D. and D.J. Cooper. 2004. Analysis of sediment retention in western riverine wetlands: the Yampa River Watershed, Colorado. Environmental Management, 33(3):318-330.
- Cooper, D.J., R.A. Andrus, and C.D. Arp. 2002. Sphagnum balticum in a Southern Rocky Mountain iron fen. Madrono, 49(3):186-188.
- Arp, C.D., D.J. Cooper, and J.D. Stednick. 1999. The effects of heavy metals from acid rock drainage on Carex aquatilis leaf litter decomposition in Rocky Mountain fens. Wetlands, 19(3):665 – 674.
- Whitman, M. and C.D. Arp. 2010. Developing a process baseline for Arctic beaded stream and lake complexes in the context of fish habitat, future petroleum drilling, and climate change in the NPR-A: Progress Report 2009. Draft Internal Fish Program Report BLM/AK/AK930-6500/FY09/1120/02
- Long, D. and C.D. Arp. In press. Limnology and Water Quality of Wonder Lake and other Large Lakes in and around Denali National Park and Preserve, 2006-2008. U.S. Geological Survey Open-file Report
- Arp, C., and J. Curran. 2009. Beavers across Denali’s hydrologic landscape. National Park Service, Denali National Park and Preserve Fact Sheet.
- Arp, C.D. and B.M. Jones. 2009. Geography of Alaska lake districts: identification, description, and analysis of lake-rich regions of a diverse and dynamic state. U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2008-5215, 40 p.
- Arp, C. and B. Jones. 2008. Large Lakes and Landscape Limnology. National Park Service, Denali National Park and Preserve Fact Sheet.
- Cooper, D.J. and C.D. Arp. 2003. North Fork of the Gunnison River riparian vegetation analysis. North Fork River Improvement Association.
- Cooper, D.J. and C.D. Arp. 2002. Prospect Basin fens: baseline monitoring for the year 2001. Prospect Bowl Fen Protection Oversight Committee.
- Arp, C.D, and E. Benítez G. 2001. A review concerning the potential use of native Amazonian fishes for aquaculture in Ecuador, Red de Extensión Piscícola Amazónica Publication, Programa Carrera en Acuacultura, Universidad Nacional de Loja, Loja, Ecuador.
- Arp, C.D. and D.J. Cooper. 1999. Analysis of sediment fluxes in riparian and slope wetlands: Yampa River Watershed, Colorado. Department of Environmental Quality, State of Utah.
- Cooper, D.J., C.D. Arp, and D.C. Anderson. 1999. Importance of the 1997 Flaming Gorge Dam bypass flows for native ecosystem maintenance along the Green River in Browns Park and Lodore Canyon, Colorado. Bureau of Reclamation.
- Cooper, D.J. and C.D. Arp. 1999. Riparian vegetation of the San Miguel River: surface and groundwater interactions, plant water sources, plant water status, and susceptibility to impacts from changing river base flows. Bureau of Land Management.