Faculty and Staff Salary Calculation
- Ask the INE Business Office or Proposal Office for an up-to-date hourly salary figure.
- Multiply this number by 173.33 hours. This will give you salary per month.
- Multiply by the number of months in your budget.
- Multiply this figure by the appropriate leave benefit percentage (see table below).
Always include leave benefits with salary. This gives you the “loaded” salary.
For example, 3 months of a faculty member’s time might be: ($60/hr)(173.33hrs/mo)(3 mos)(1.017) = $31,730 in loaded salary
- Take the loaded salary and multiply it by the appropriate staff benefits rate (see table below).
For example: ($31,730)(34.1%) = $10,820 in staff benefits.
List this figure on the “fringe benefits” line of your budget.
APT Staff Example: ($25.26/hr)(173.33hrs/mo)(6mos)(1.217)=$31,970; staff benefits = ($31,970)(42.8%)=$13,683
A Classified Staff Example: ($20.21)(173.33hrs/mo)(.5 mos)(1.222)= $2,140; staff benefits = ($2,140)(52.0%)= $1,113
All staff salaries should increase by 2% each year. All CEM faculty salaries should increase by 2.5% each year. All graduate student salaries should increase by 2% each year.
|Job Group||FY13 Leave Rates||FY13 Staff Benefit Rates|
|Classified (nonexempt, NR)||22.20%||52.00%|
|Classified AHECTE (CR)||23.10%||64.00%|
|APT Exempt (XR)||21.70%||42.80%|
|Faculty, UNAC (F9)||1.70%||34.10%|
|Faculty, UAFT (A9, AR)||1.10%||32.50%|
|Faculty, Adjunct (FW)||0.00%||10.00%|
|Temporary/FICA Students (ST, GT)||0.00%||8.10%|
|Staff Temporary (XT, NT)||0.00%||8.10%|
|Students (SN, GN)||0.00%||0.00%|
Facilities and Administration CalculationsFacilities and Administration (F&A) costs are calculated by:
- Add up all project direct costs (total direct costs, or TDC)
- From this total, subtract student tuition, equipment costing $5,000 or more, and subcontract amounts that exceed $25,000 over the life of the project. The remaining amount is your modified total direct costs (MTDC).
- (MTDC)(49.5%) = F&A costs
- F&A Costs + TDC = Total Project Request
- F&A rate DOD projects is 60.3%
- F&A rate for proposed research projects beginning on or after 1 January 2011: 49.5%
- F&A rate for proposed sponsored training projects: 35%.
- F&A rate for proposed other sponsored activities projects: 34.2%.
- F&A rate for proposed research projects funded by Alaska State agency dollars: 25%
- F&A rate for proposed training projects funded by Alaska State agency dollars: 12%