The INE Travel Office provides assistance with travel forms, airline reservations, expense reports, per diem, travel insurance, and reimbursements.

Effective Immediately - June 5, 2017

Effective immediately, CEM will no longer be processing travel authorizations and expense reports through the Travel and Expense Management System (TEM).  We have been experiencing several issues with TEM that seem to be getting worse.  The university is currently exploring other travel expense management software programs to support our travel needs.  Until a new software vendor is selected, all travel will be processed the old fashioned way, using paper travel authorizations and expense reports. 

**NOTE: All existing travel authorizations in TEM will not be impacted by this change.  Completed travel authorizations in TEM will also have corresponding expense reports completed through TEM.

Below is a link to the online paper TA form.  Please fill this form out for all new travel requests and send it to Erin Harris in the INE Business Office for processing.

New Travel Authorization Form

INE has also created a travel request form that we hope is simple and easy to use.  We will share a link to this form in a separate email later this week.

Our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.  As always, please contact the INE Business Office for any travel-related questions you may have or issues you may be experiencing.

Helpful Links:

Travel regulations

Per Diem Rates FY18 - Domestic - PDF

Per Diem Rates FY18 - Alaska - PDF

Fly America Act - Open Skies Agreement

Important information regarding family or friends participating in research travel:

The University requires that all CEM faculty and staff who would like to have family or friends participate in research travel must complete and submit an Emergency Action Plan, a Travel Accompaniment Waiver Form (release of liability), and must obtain the INE Director's approval prior to departure. If you have any questions about this procedure, please contact Nickole Conley at x5626 or Andrea Krumhardt (EHS&RM Safety Coordinator) at x5197.

Travel forms are also available directly from the UAF Financial Services Travel office.

Of note:

  • Submit TA before leaving on trip - approval 2-3 weeks prior to travel is ideal
  • Please note that "Description" must have more than just 'field work' for description of travel. Include a brief explanation of what type of work is being performed in the field. If going to a conference, spell out name of conference and give dates of the actual conference, not the entire travel time. If more than one event being attended, provide all and dates of each event
  • Make notes in the "Comments" section and/or line items of expenses explaining what happened, what you plan to be doing, the reasoning for what is going to happen or did happen, etc

Rental Vehicles:

The University of Alaska has three WSCA car rental agreements available for staff usage while traveling. All of them have several advantages, which include lowering the underage driver age to 18, preferred rates in Alaska and the continental United States and insurance coverage. Each contract should be checked to find the best value. WSCA contracts are for Business Use Only!!

To use UAF's WSCA contract agreement, you must use one of the following codes at the time of reserving the vehicle:

Enterprise Car Rental Agreement: Customer number is XZ45UAF

National Car Rental Agreement: Customer number is XZ45UAF

Hertz Car Rental Agreement: University of Alaska CDP 1951379

Non-WSCA Agreements:

Avis has provided us with a pricing agreement. It is available for both work and personal use. For questions or assistance, contact Chelsie Kodet, Avis Rent a Car System, LLC, 866-380-8232 ext. 3714, email:

Avis Worldwide Discount (AWD) Number: A739801


Kelly James (474-5457) is back-up for Ayden Harris.

The INE Travel Office is now able to purchase airfare, lodging, registration fees and some rental vehicles prior to travel. This will help reduce the amount of money out-of-pocket for the traveler.